Years ago, finding a fresh orange in your Christmas stocking was a miracle when snow brought on shivers and darkness for months on end. Today we are fortunate to have access to oranges all-year round, and what better way to #WakeUp than to the sweet scent of citrus! Cut down the sugar and also add flavor to this traditionally decadent morning treat with our All-Sass Grape Nectar. So gift yourself a decadent breakfast this holiday season with our Orange Sweet Rolls!
BLEND USED: All-Sass California Grape Nectar
Tasting attributes: Ooey-gooey cinnamon rolls find a pop of citrus with All-Sass’s floral effervescence and stone fruit aromatics
Tree lightings, candles burning, mistletoe growing, the holiday season is the sweetest time of the year. So we’re here to bring you and your loved ones some holiday cheer! Cinnamon rolls are the ideal way to begin your holiday morning so we've revised Pillsbury's classic combo with this #NotYourAverage recipe. Prepare the dough the night before to joyfully ease into your morning before you unwrap these delightful Orange Sweet Rolls!
Wake the fam up with the smell of orange fields and sparkling grape sugar. All-Sass Grape Nectar compliments hints of cinnamon to create a refreshing and earthy flavor sure to warm your soul. No need to worry about a sugar crash two hours into your holiday festivities because Grape Nectar keeps this dish lower in sugar and full of nutrients, vitamins, and antioxidants. Plus, All-Sass grape sugar alternative and fresh orange zest produce a clean, crisp aroma throughout your home that can't be found anywhere else this winter! This jolly breakfast will bring Santa’s elves knocking on your door.
Whatever celebration has you baking up a big breakfast, these Orange Sweet Rolls are the ultimate start to your day. With Grape Nectar, it almost impossible to stop after just one roll, but hey, keep em’ coming because All-Sass lowers calorie content and adds just three grams of sugar per teaspoon! Less than Santa’s cookies we might add. But what makes these Orange Sweet Rolls so glorious is the fact that most of it gets done the night before. All that's needed in the morn is to bake, glaze, and devoure. And if you want to make these Sweet Rolls even simpler, forget the glaze and drizzle your warm rolls with just Grape Nectar and a sprinkle of orange zest.
Never will you #WakeUp more cheery than with this divine and very merry breakfast!
- ½ cup warm water
- 1 packet rapid-rise dry yeast ( about 1 tbsp)
- 4 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 4 large eggs
- Zest from 1-2 medium sized oranges
- ¼ cup All-Sass Grape Nectar
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (softened, ½ stick)
- 1 cup packed brown or coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1½ tbsp butter (melted)
- 2 tbsp All-Sass Grape Nectar
- 3 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1-2 tbsp low-fat milk
- 1-1¼ cup powdered sugar
Prep your dough the night before
- In a small bowl, sprinkle yeast over warm water and let bloom for a few minutes. Whisk until smooth while adding in ½ cup of flour. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand about 15 minutes in a warm area
- Add mixture to a large bowl. Stir in the eggs, Grape Nectar, orange zest, and salt. Then mix in the remaining 3 1/2 cups flour until well incorporated
- Transfer to a lightly floured surface and begin kneading the dough. Add in softened butter and continue to knead for about 7-10 minutes. As the surface becomes more sticky, sprinkle it with flour as necessary
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and let it rise until size about doubles - 1½-2 hours at room temp
- Butter a 9x13-inch baking dish
- Transfer dough to a floured work surface and roll it into a large rectangle. Brush with 1½ tbsp melted butter to begin the filling
- Mix together cinnamon and sugar for the filling
- Cover the buttered dough with the sugar mixture and, starting at the longest side, begin rolling up the dough very, very tightly and pinch the seam together to hold in the filling
- With the seam facing down, cut into 15-18 2-inch pieces. Place the rolls in the dish and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in the refrigerator overnight.
In the morning...(we highly suggest eating these fresh out of the oven!)
- Remove rolls from the refrigerator and let rise about an hour, the size should nearly double. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake the rolls until golden brown, about 20-30 minutes. Before digging in, let cool in the pan for 15 minutes
While rolls are in the oven, prepare the glaze
- Whisk together Grape Nectar, orange juice, orange zest, milk, and powdered sugar, until smooth and there are no clumps. Add more powdered sugar to thicken glaze to your prefered consistency.
- After rolls sit, drizzle the glaze over the warm rolls and serve immediately.
*Store in an airtight container to keep fresh for several days
Get your Grape Nectar now!