We are absolutely going bananas over this bread. This baked good is similar to your token banana bread recipe except we swapped out the sugar without sacrificing that familiar delicious taste. Substituting sugar with Bored-O Blanc not only cuts the sugar content in half, but will elevate your banana bread game and make your mouth water. Super bonus: this bread can be made VEGAN with one simple swap.
BLEND USED: Bored-O Blanc California Grape Nectar
Tasting Attributes: The flavor and acidity of the Blanc grape nectar are very subtle in this recipe. In baking, grape nectar works to retain moisture and cut sugar without compromising flavor of the final product.
Banana bread triumphs as one of the most popular of the sweet baked breakfast goods. It is only natural that we try every version on the internet in search of the perfect recipe. No one enjoys a dry, flavorless slice of banana bread that tastes like cardboard or a health food store. Or one that is too much like dessert at 7am in the morning when they are trying to feed their family a nutritious breakfast. We were on a mission.
So for those facts alone, we would like to present the best of both worlds: a healthier, yet deliciously moist and rich best banana bread recipe. This recipe uses our most neutral of grape nectar blends to perfectly sweeten this bread with just enough added flavor. While we like the enhanced stone fruit and apple aromatics the white blend of Grape Nectar imparts, it will not drive away a banana bread purist. Toddler to grandma approved.
With our grape nectar being a low glycemic and low carb sugar alternative, this recipe speaks highly to the health-minded. Compared to the 31 grams of white sugar you find in your traditional Starbucks Banana Bread, there is only 11.6 grams of naturally occurring grape sugar in this recipe. Plus: HALF THE FAT AND CALORIES as well! There is nothing we like better when we can boost antioxidants and nutrients with our California grapes in a recipe without sacrificing flavor or integrity of the finished product. Who doesn’t like a little added nutrition and flavor to their standard banana bread? Yet, whether you are a health nut or not, we highly encourage you to try this recipe out with our sweetener.
And while we experiment in the vegan and non-vegan baking realm in our Grape Nectar test kitchen, we can’t seem to determine which variation we like best using both options of this recipe. The vegan option tends to stay a little more moist, yet light, while the classic version is a slightly doughy and heartier. We highly recommend trying both out for yourself and deciding which you prefer.
Another exciting fact about this recipe, especially for the home baker: it only uses ONE bowl! You can easily whip up this recipe from start to finish in less than an hour and a half and have a quick, homemade breakfast go-to for yourself and your household (if you decide to share). Easy preparation and easy cleanup make this recipe a win-win.
Come to the sweeter side and #WakeUp with our Best Banana Bread!
BEST BANANA BREAD RECIPE
- 1/3 c melted coconut oil
- 1/2 c Bored-O Blanc Grape Nectar
- 2 eggs (VEGAN OPTION: sub 2 Tbsp flax meal + ¼ c + 1 Tbsp water)
- 1 c mashed ripe bananas (about 2 ½ medium or 2 large bananas)
- 1/4 c almond milk
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, plus more to swirl on top
- 1 ½ c whole wheat (white or pastry) flour
- 1/4 c flax meal
- 1/2 c optional nuts, chocolate chips, or dried fruit
- Preheat oven to 325ºF and grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, beat the oil and grape nectar together together with a whisk. Add the eggs and beat well, then whisk in the mashed bananas and milk. (If your coconut oil solidifies on contact with cold ingredients, simply let the bowl rest in a warm place for a few minutes, like on top of your stove, or warm it for about 10 seconds in the microwave.)
- Add the baking soda, vanilla, salt and cinnamon; whisk together. Lastly, switch to a large spoon and stir in the flour, just until combined (lumpy ok). Fold in additional mix-ins.
- Pour the batter into your greased loaf pan and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the loaf pan for 10 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes before slicing or storing.
Nutrition Facts: (per 1/8 classic bread) Total Calories 237, Fat 12.2g, Carbs 29.8g, Fiber 4.2g, Sugars 11.6g (all natural occurring, not refined sugar), Protein 4.4g
Nutrition Facts: (per 1/8 vegan bread) Total Calories 228, Fat 11.7g, Carbs 29.8g, Fiber 4.7g, Sugars 11.6g (all natural occurring, not refined sugar), Protein 3.2g
Bonus: HALF the sugar, calories, and saturated fat of the classic banana bread plus it's loaded with potassium and plant-based fats too!