Can you remember the last time you had rice pudding? For some, pudding was a staple in their household and for others, a rarity. Also, it is not common to come across a good pudding recipe, let alone a healthy one. Well look no further, we have a phenomenal family rice pudding recipe that will knock your socks off and has no refined sugar, compared to a traditional pudding. Our Bored-O Blanc sugar alternative adds the perfect amount of sweetness to this delicious treat.
Our team member Diane recalls that this recipe always brings back fond childhood memories. "It was the dessert my mom was asked to make for all parties and holidays. My mom had a special casserole dish she used for the pudding and this dish was only used for that purpose. So when the family saw the baking dish on the counter we all knew she was making rice pudding and then the with or without raisins debate would start. "
She has reinvented this recipe for you and has "taken this East Coast comfort food and made a West Coast version by substituting the whole milk and refined white sugar with our natural sugar alternative while still keeping all the memories." And as if that weren't enough of a reason for you to give it a try, we are absolutely hooked on the elevated flavor our Grape Nectar gives this recipe.
A typical rice pudding recipe is very heavy with large amounts of whole milk and refined sugar. While those attributes are heavy they make for a very comforting rich treat. However, we believe that a treat does not have to be unhealthy to be delicious or comforting. By using our Grape Nectar instead of refined white sugar, we are cutting way back on the sugar content and using a sweetener that will be easily metabolized. In addition to low sugar, Diane has used almond milk as opposed to whole milk, making this a dairy-intolerant friendly dish.
Using Bored-O Blanc in this recipe adds a sweetness unlike anything you've ever tried, especially in pudding! Try out this #SweetStuff
REINVENTED RICE PUDDING RECIPE
Ingredients (makes about 2-3 serving of each flavor; total 4-6 servings)
- 2/3 cups precooked rice
- 3 cups minus 2 tbsp Unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 eggs (slightly beaten)
- 1/2 cup Bored-O Blanc Grape Nectar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (optional)
- Combine rice and milk in saucepan, bring to boil then remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, nectar, vanilla and optional nutmeg. Add to rice mixture slowly; mix well.
- Pour into 1/1/2 quart baking dish.
- Place in pan of hot water and bake in moderate oven at 375 degrees for approx 40 minutes.
- Stir several times during first 20 minutes of baking.
- Enjoy warm or cold with cinnamon!
Get your Bored-O Blanc